Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Support Local Performances

You don't have to go to the "big city" for good entertainment. I've had an inkling of this for a long time, but I've seen it proven time and again since I've been managing the Placer Performance Calendar (www.placerperformancecalendar.com). It covers nearly 80 performing organizations in south Placer County (and Folsom), and I've been trying to attend as many of their performances as possible. As often as not, I've been delighted, even amazed.

Apologies to those of you who don't live nearby, but I'll give some examples. I've seen excellent shows at Roseville's Magic Circle Theatre, including "Big River" and "Anything Goes." Two more great shows were Sutter Street Theatre's (in Folsom) "And Then There Were None" and "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change," which is still playing and which features outstanding acting and singing. I saw a mind-blowing tap dance show put on by Folsom's Stages/Northern California Performing Arts, and a brilliant dance show by Roseville High School's Dance Department.

That leads me to emphasize the terrific shows I've seen at high schools. For example, the acting in the production of "The Crucible" in Vista del Lago High School's black box theatre was top-notch. I was delighted by the energy and good acting at Woodcreek High School's production of "Arsenic and Old Lace." The boy who played Mortimer looked and acted like a reincarnation of one of the matinee idols of the 1950s. And where did Rocklin High School get 3 boys who were such good singers and actors in the school's recent production of "The Wiz" (which featured a 20-piece orchestra)? And just last weekend I was blown away by the comedic skills of the kids at Oakmont High School's student-directed production of Neil Simon's "Rumors." I think I got more laughs out of that show than anything I've seen in years, and if one of those girls isn't destined to be a regular on "Saturday Night Live," I'd be amazed.

What's happening here? Our local schools and studios are where talent is being identified and cultivated, and their standards of professionalism have risen over the years. And with these young performers, you often see energy and risk-taking that is, by itself, engaging to watch. Of course, it's not all great, but I find that even when a show is full of technical problems or has a lot of so-so talent, there is almost always one -- and sometimes many -- performers on whom one can focus and who, by themselves, justify your time and the modest cost of your ticket.

So I say: "Patronize your local performing arts organizations!" Find out who is really doing the best work, and have fun! You don't have to go to the "big city" for good entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment