Saturday, March 27, 2010

Bike Safely: Wear a Helmet

Yes, that's me on the front page of today's Roseville Press-Tribune (and Granite Bay Press-Tribune). The picture accompanies an article with the headline, "Bike helmet saves man's life."

Three years ago, I was hit by a car while bicycling. I walked away from the accident, but my helmet was cracked. So although I've worn a bicycle helmet for my last 15 years of riding, that experience made me notice helmet usage even more. And lately I've been appalled at the large number of people I see riding on streets without a helmet.

After thinking about doing so for more than a year, I sent a letter (by e-mail) to the editor of the Roseville Press-Tribune, recounting my experience and noting how common it is to see people riding without helmets. She e-mailed back asking if I'd be willing to be interviewed for a story. I said "Yes," and here is the online version of what came out today: http://rosevillept.com/detail/145796.html.

I've had great fun exploring Roseville and surrounding communities by bicycle, and I recommend it to anyone. But be sure to stay safe: (1) obey traffic laws, (2) make your movements predictable to motorists, (3) stay alert to your surroundings, and above all, (4) wear a helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment