Monday, December 12, 2011

Fathom Events

In maintaining the Placer Performance Calendar (www.perfcal.com), I have become familiar with Fathom Events, the organization that arranges (often live) performances of artistic events at local movie theaters throughout the US (and the world, for that matter). I first became aware of them in connection with the live broadcasts of Metropolitan Opera performances, "The Met: Live in HD" series. And this past summer, I saw their wonderful series of Shakespeare productions from the Globe Theatre in London. Recently, I saw their presentation of the 25th anniversary of Andrew Lloyd Weber's "Phantom of the Opera" and the Christmas Festival of the St. Olaf choirs -- all of them brilliant performances of the highest quality. Now, I'm looking forward to Gustavo Dudamel and the Los Angeles Philharmonic's performance of Mahler's 8th Symphony live from Caracas on February 18.

Why go to a movie theater for productions like these? For one thing, the sound system is terrific. For another, the camera work is of the highest professional quality: you get close-ups that can't be matched when you're in the audience. And seeing these events on the big screen really brings you into the experience, with productions that just aren't available on TV.

The sad thing is that the audiences that have shared these wonderful experiences with me have been pitifully small. I just hope that my local theater won't lose heart and will continue to offer these events.

If you're in Placer County, California, you can track the Fathom Events offerings through my Placer Performance Calendar website. Otherwise, check them out at the link below. So much of what they offer are truly life-enriching experiences.

www.fathomevents.com

No comments:

Post a Comment