Friday, August 20, 2010

Hands-Free Cellphone Calls

I heard on the news yesterday about the latest "zero tolerance" day. Local law enforcement issued nearly 600 citations to people for using hand-held cell phones while they drive. I might have been at risk myself until about 6 weeks ago when I found my answer to hands-free cell phone use.

I read an article in PC Magazine extolling the Jabra Cruiser, so I decided to get it. It had a suggested retail price of $100, but I quickly found online sites offering it for about $75. I eventually purchased one for a "buy it now" deal on eBay for about $45 (plus $8 for shipping). It was delivered in a few days shrink-wrapped.

I've been using it now for more than a month, and it fits my requirements perfectly. It charges via a USB connection so I charge it from my computer in a couple of hours, or use the accompanying charger that plugs into my car's power outlet. After my first charge, I "paired" it with my iPhone, a process that I found to be quite easy. (It can actually pair with two phones.)

Once the device is set up, you attach it to your visor and turn it on. A synthesized voice confirms that it has established the connection with your phone, which can be anywhere on your person or in the car. Then when a call comes it, you press the top of the Jabra Cruiser to answer. I find the sound quality to be excellent while I'm driving, and the tiny microphone in the device works like a champ -- no complaints from those I've talked with.

When I initiate a call (dialing on my phone), the Jabra Cruiser siezes the call as soon as the dialing is done. Pressing the top of the device terminates the call.

But wait...there's more! You can push a button on the side of the device and transfer the voice of the person you're talking to onto a channel of your FM radio. And if your phone plays music, the Jabra Cruiser can play your phone's music through its speaker -- or the car's FM radio. If your phone has the capability, you can also dial by voice, reject calls, redial, mute a call, and handle third-party calls.

One of the features I like best is the long-lasting battery. I don't talk a lot in the car, and I have gone weeks between charges. (The ads say you can get up to 10 hours of talk time and 13 days of stand-by time.) One feature that helps this is that the Jabra Cruiser turns itself off if your cell phone is out of its range (30 feet) for more than 10 minutes.

I just checked, and Amazon.com is selling the Jabra Cruiser for $48. Stores on eBay are offering it for as little as $35, not counting shipping charges. For hands-free phone conversations in the car, this little device is the perfect answer for me. Maybe it will be for you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment